Borderline Retarded

Saturday, December 30, 2006

I am enjoying day 3 of my 5 day weekend. I had a hard time enjoying my first day off on Thursday; there was all sorts of bad things happening with our payroll account and I feel bad that I wasn't around to help out more. I don't really think there was much I could do, but still.

I took the kids over to my parent's house on Thursday, then went to the factory outlets to do a little bit of shopping. Those gift certificates are burning a hole in my wallet! I took myself out to see a movie, "A Night at the Museum" or whatever that dang thing is called. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I had myself a Cherry Coke the size of my head, and some peanut butter cups. I saw a preview for a sequel to "Bruce Almighty" that looks like it is going to be hysterical. I might even get my husband out to see that one!

We enjoyed dinner out last night with some friends visiting from Kentucky. They are expecting their first baby in May, and I am so happy we can get a chance to catch up now. It might be a couple of years before we see each other again. I have also discovered that I love to talk about my kids, pregnancy and labor and dispense advice (or assvice, I never know). I keep telling our friends to tell me to shut up at any point. They seem happy for the advice. I think they are very analytical in nature, and are kind of playing the field of parenting advice, almost like conducting interviews and taking polls. I like that approach. My friend Jenn and I had our first babies 3 months apart, so we had to muddle through as best we could.

My cousin Kristin is expecting her first baby any time now. She moved with her husband to Oregon about a year ago, and the only family they have close by are his grandparents. Thanks to the miracle of e-mail, I can yack about breastfeeding to my heart's content! I have also tried very hard to remember all of the advice and stories I had from our Gran, who passed away in February. I know Kristin is missing her, especially now. When we were talking about cribs, I even remembered the style of crib that Gran had, and I think Kristin is going to get the same kind. It's the little things.

We have been invited to a New Year's party at my sister in law's house. If we could get a sitter, I wouldn't mind going. It seems that everyone is either busy or disinclined to watch the rugrats. I think I would much rather folks come to our house, but it is a long drive for everyone. My husband gave me a bottle of 2002 Mumm Brut for Christmas. I have it chilling as we speak! I will be perfectly content to ring in the new year with my hubby and some bubbly.

My husband's birthday is next week and I have the BEST present for him. I can't wait for him to open it! I hope he likes it. If not, I guess it will be a gift for me because I am NOT taking it back! I don't know yet what he would like to do for his birthday. The last few years we have stayed home. It must be hard for him to think about another party after having 4 different Christmas parties last weekend!

I hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas season.

3 Comments:

  • It's amazing how fast this extended weekend went by. I just want a few months off of work... is that too much to ask?

    Happy New Year!

    By Blogger Meg, at 2:29 PM  

  • Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too! Did you get that lovely massage pillow though??
    :)

    By Blogger Squishi, at 4:46 AM  

  • We had a great time at dinner with you guys; I'm glad you did, too. I really do appreciate the advice a lot. (I was worried you'd feel I didn't care about the non-mom part of your identity!) I don't know too many people with young children to ask about these things. Thanks. (I'll be emailing!)

    By Blogger BadassMama, at 6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home