Borderline Retarded

Monday, December 18, 2006

I have to laugh at people. Otherwise, I might cry.

I came in to work this morning with a message on my voicemail. Normally, I don't get too many messages. For that I am thankful. This message, however, strove to out do any message I have ever received.

This man called me in response to 2 voicemails I left him regarding a paycheck from September our bank shows has not been cashed. The messages I left for him were quick and to the point, just asking for him to get back to me whether he had the check or not. He only worked for us for about a month, otherwise his supervisor would be taking care of this situation for me.

The message he left for me on Friday night was 10 MINUTES LONG. 10. Whole minutes.

Apparently, this particular ex- employee is suing us for a variety of reasons, none of which I was fully able to understand even though he described each incident in great detail. From what I gathered, and I made Kelly listen to it too because it was her damn fault I had to contact this guy in the first place, he worked for us 2 weeks when he decided we didn't keep our equipment in the best repair. He had to work on Labor Day, and was told he would also receive holiday pay, but didn't. (Note - he hadn't been working for us a full 30 days yet, and so was not actually eligible for holiday pay). He refused to drive a truck that had expired safety tags (no idea what that means). He asked to be given a different truck with current tags, and apparently there weren't any. His supervisor told him if that was the case, he should go home. The employee asked if he would be called to come in the next day. Said supervisor told him that all the vehicles would be in the very same condition the next day as they were currently. So, the employee stayed home for a week. He is suing us for one week's wages he was "cheated" out of. He bemoans the fact that he gave us the benefit of the doubt and gave 2 weeks notice, and he was not given the benefit of the doubt. I'm no scholar, but if you give 2 weeks notice, what is there to doubt? What were we doubting that he would need the benefit of?

To make matters worse, after this guy droned on for about 5 minutes with no end in sight, I stopped the message so I could forward it to my boss. I'm sure he has the situation under control already, and I was actually thinking this message could be "exhibit 1" when we go to court in January. It turns out you can't just forward a message, you can only do it at it has run all the way through. So, I had to START OVER. No fast forward.

Here's the beauty of it. He finally comes around after 10 minutes to answering the question of the open payroll check. He says that he remembers something about a $10 bonus check, (which is, of course, the check I am referring to) but doesn't say squat about whether he cashed it or still has it. He says that can't possibly be the check I'm asking about. I can rest assured though, that every other paycheck has been cashed. I actually know that already. Otherwise I would have mentioned them the first time I called.

He works a later shift now, so if I want to get a hold of him, I should call between 9:30 pm and 5:00 am. Right.

I am sure there are those of you who will play devil's advocate and that's OK. We might be at fault in every sense in this case and that's OK too. If we are, we will be paying this man what the court decides is his due and you won't hear a complaint out of me. But for the love of Jeebus, what did any of that have to do with whether or not he has an old paycheck or not! What grinds me is the idea that I might have to call this jackass again to clarify does he have it or not. He said he had filed a lawsuit and it didn't make any sense to him that I was calling about an uncashed check. Does he think I'm trying to trick him? Does he think the entire planet gives a crap about his problems, and that every other function hinges around his lawsuit? Does he not pay his electric bill because of his lawsuit? I am going to guess that there are more than a few people out there who feel the same way about this fellow I do. The bank teller, the grocery check out person, the poor random soul at the Christmas party who says "how's it going?".

Please sir, do not mistake my poor attitude here for a lack of caring. I care. However, I'm just trying to do my job and you are making this simple process one hundred times harder than it needs to be.

1 Comments:

  • HA! He sounds like the weirdos that work where I do.... i get 5 min long phone calls where they repeat everything 65000 times, but forget to leave their names, and mostly have totally non-understandable accents. Oh, they leave phone numbers too, but to only call them in backshift, which is from 230am - 6am. Mmrmm.

    Yep, I hear you girly :)

    By Blogger Squishi, at 3:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home