Borderline Retarded

Thursday, October 05, 2006

It has been busy around here!! I just finished up with an audit yesterday. That will give you grey hairs, let me tell you! The auditor was very nice though. I have found all of the auditors I have worked with over the years to be nice people. My friend Maria did have one lousy auditor. He was from the TTB (Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, used to be known as the ATF) and from all accounts was on a day pass from the state hospital. Maria said he kept pulling little scraps of paper out of his pockets, looking at them, and squirreling them away again while he talked. She can't even recount that day without a few martinis in her. She was so pissed off after this guy left, she slammed all the doors and left for the rest of the day. I guess the auditor forgot to tell her something and came back into the office, and the staff were actually scared there would be bloodshed. One of the owners called the TTB and the auditor never came back. He was replaced by someone much better suited to work with humans.

My husband and I went out for dinner last Friday night, just the two of us. It was very nice, and relaxing. It has been a rough couple of weeks. Old baby is having a difficult time getting the swing of our new routine. I think the biggest upset is that in between my husband starting a new job and new baby with a babysitter, he has graduated up to the next class at school. He is with all of the other three year olds now, and he is having some trouble warming up to everything.

I can't believe how much that kid tries to get away with! We have to be on alert constantly for his unsavory behavior. He talks back something fierce. Well, we are nipping that in the bud. He seems to be responding well, but he is also having trouble going to bed at night. He stays awake too late, and sometimes wakes his brother up in the process. No wonder he can be a monster some mornings. There is always the guilty stabs of pain too, knowing that everything would be so much more peaceful if I were staying home, and not having to wake up the kids so I can get to work. However, we would be living under a freeway overpass if I wasn't working, so I guess maybe "peaceful" is relative!

We were able to enjoy dinner out last night for a friend's birthday. That was great - they have a 3 year old as well and it so much fun to see them together! New baby got passed around the table from hand to hand, charming everyone with his smile, eating everyone's food. He is such a schmoozer! He lost both of his socks by the end of the night, and the cutest thing I have ever seen is my husband holding the baby, tickling his little feet with his beard. The baby laughed so hard, I thought his sides were going to split. I told my friend Wren that I think an egg popped out of my ovary when I saw that. I thoroughly grossed out half the table!

2 Comments:

  • Effin' auditors. My sympathies.

    I work in accounting. I understand internal controls and the need for audits. But some of them ARE. JUST. SO. GRATINGLY. STUPID.

    I got busted on some really immaterial crap by an internal auditor. When she confronted me I said: "Just write me up and go away. You don't know what you're talking about."

    She doesn't audit me any more.

    By Blogger Kingfisher, at 12:09 PM  

  • Egg popped from an ovary. That's too funny!

    By Blogger Squishi, at 5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home