Borderline Retarded

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

New baby said "mama" last night! I was so tickled. He has been talking to "dada" for a few weeks now, so I was glad to finally have my turn!

Dada is on his way to being employed again. Yay for our pocketbook, but I am so sad that he has to leave new baby. They are quite the pair. If everything were the way I wanted it to be, my husband would not be working at all, and staying home with the kids. I don't mind working. I actually enjoy my job. I have never seen my husband as a "9 to 5" type guy. He is too thoughtful. He is my philosopher king. I love seeing my husband and the kids together so much.

I think we are extremely lucky. We have had the opportunity that not many couples have of both at one time or another being the stay at home parent, and being the only one working. I never thought I would understand my parents as well as I do now. Our current situation has given me many moments to pause and reflect. I have spent many hours pondering the roles of men and women in the traditional sense. I will always be grateful for the opportunity to see things from the traditional "male" point of view. It has helped me grow as a person and I think made my relationship with my husband even more loving and strong. We can appreciate each other in a way never possible before.

As the next phase of our lives moves on, we will undoubtedly have road blocks and hurdles and pot holes to overcome. I feel much better equipped to deal with it now, and am looking forward to the challenge!

3 Comments:

  • You're so right!! I'm sure Seigo would love to stay at home with the baby for a period of time...but that ain't gonna happen unfortunately. So lucky :)

    By Blogger Crafty Japan, at 5:59 PM  

  • *sigh*

    Enjoy it, my friends. They grow faster than you did.

    It's an old joke/sore spot with the wife and I that "dada" always came before "mama." Three times. We did much head scratching over it. After all, mama is the one with the food knobs, the warm smell, and the soft bits to nap on. dada is, uh, the other one.

    My explanation: dada is the one who tickles and rolls on the floor and makes the dumbest faces and lets you sit in your own stink.

    Her explanation: when moving the facial muscles in preparation for speech, "dada" is easier than "mama." And it is an imitation of Daddy:

    "Duh. Duh."

    By Blogger Kingfisher, at 7:46 PM  

  • Hooray for Mama! My sister's a bit cheesed off, cos her husband gets "Daddy" and she's only ever got a "Mum" out of my nephew.

    I love new babies when they're learning to talk, it's the sweetest thing in the world hearing your name for the first time :))))

    By Blogger Squishi, at 5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home