Borderline Retarded

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I LOVE 3 day weekends!

I Had a great weekend. I layed around and relaxed for most of it. We had a "game night" at my parents house, which consisted of my mother barely keeping it together! She seemed rather pissed off at everybody. Oh well, I can never figure her out! We played a couple of rounds of UNO, then as the group doubled in size, we switched to Screw Your Neighbor. We had a lot of fun. Luckily, my son was happy watching "Baby Einstein", and only caused a scene when he came running into the room wearing nothing but his diaper, which was hanging off his bottom. That got whipped right off - and there stood my little boy in all his frighteningly pale glory! Seriously, we had to shut our eyes to avoid the glare. My cousin said she didn't think they made people that white!

On Saturday morning, we were sitting around the living room, when we heard this terrible "CRACK" coming from the backyard. My husband and I looked at each other, as if to say, "Huh, that was probably nothing, right?" I looked out one window, didn't see anything. I got up and looked out the sliding glass doors, and saw the fence separating our backyard and the neighbor's backyard had split. It was one piece of wood that had split right down the middle. I told my husband, and sat back down. We knew all of our fences are in bad shape, and we had basically been waiting for something like this to happen. A couple of minutes later, we heard and even louder "CRACK", and this time my husband got up to check out the damage. The entire middle portion of the fence was down. We got a great look into our neighbor's backyard. We don't think the homeowners even live there all year long. They have a metal bar locking their sliding glass door. They also have a pool - we considered going swimming a couple of times! Luckily, my sister in law had just given us the name of a landscaper who worked on their backyard. My parents offered to pay for a retaining wall as a Christmas gift. Well, it looks like they'll be buying us a fence instead. $4,100.00!! Ouch! I guess the wallet really empties out when things fall down, go boom! We spent the rest of the weekend listening to the portion of fence that is somehow still standing, screetching and creaking in the wind like an old tree. Hopefully it won't take down every fence in the neighborhood when it goes!

We spent Sunday afternoon trying to blow up a wading pool our son got for his birthday. I think it's time to invest in an air compressor! Luckily, we had the bicycle pump to use. This thing is huge! My husband has a terrible cold, but I guess he got tired of watching me going through the cycle of:

1. Huff

2. Puff

3. Throw Up

4. Sit sown and drink water

repeat

Sometimes being pregnant does not go hand in hand with manual labor!

We got the thing filled up and outside, and hopefully the water won't be too cold when the boy and I get home this afternoon.

So ends the tale of the ultra exciting life of R. I know you're jealous!

3 Comments:

  • We've got termites (white ants), so I can sympathise with the fence issue - it always happens when you least expect it..... and costs a freaking fortune.

    Btw - your life is more interesting than mine. At least you have one.

    By Blogger Squishi, at 6:07 PM  

  • My first thoughts: "Screw Your Neighbor"? At your parents' house??

    Simply scandalous.

    Then Google tells me it's a card game. I guess that can be fun too.

    By Blogger Jomama, at 8:04 AM  

  • Yeah, um, I guess I didn't think that one through all the way. Just so you know, we are NOT swingers!

    By Blogger Robyn, at 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home