Borderline Retarded

Monday, March 26, 2007

Our oldest son is 3 1/2 years old, and isn't potty trained yet. We haven't been too worried about it, all the experts say that it is normal to not be fully potty trained until age 4. Old baby's day care offers training in that area as well. He has been going potty at school really well, but he had never used the potty at home. The day care manager recommended getting him some underwear, and he could wear it over his pull ups or try wearing them all alone during the day. I of course meant to buy him some, but it was a full 2 weeks later before I did. I bought him some Bob the Builder and Thomas the Tank Engine underwear at Target and gave them to him on Thursday night.

He was so excited! We waited till after dinner, then after his bath he got to try on his new underwear. He ran out to his daddy to show him. "Look daddy!!" he yelled while sticking out his backside. It was too funny! We had a little talk about how he knew he wasn't supposed to go tinkle on the carpet, well, he's not supposed to go tinkle in his underpants either. He got the message, because less then 5 minutes later, he had to go potty. He ran into the bathroom, onto his little potty and tinkled! I think I was about to cry I was so happy! Who knew such a little thing could motivate him that quickly to use the potty? I am still amazed at the transformation.

We made sure to bring extra underwear and pants to school on Friday, so he could wear his underwear. On the ride to day care, he tells me from the back seat "Mommy, you'd better hurry. I have to trinkle!" Since it is a 5 minute car ride, I can see that total potty trained perfection is still a ways off. He did have an accident that day, but only because his teacher decided not to put him in a pull up for his nap like I'd asked. It was probably a little bit too early to take his word on it that he could wear his underwear during his nap!

This all helped counter-act the bad mood I was in because our "check engine" idiot light came on while we were on the way home from work Thursday night. We've been tooling around in the two-door Honda Civic all weekend. I'm glad at least that I can still fit back there to buckle the kids in. The van has a faulty canister purge control cellenoid. As my husband says, they're just making stuff up now! Luckily for us, we got back just enough from CA State taxes to pay for it. Easy come, easy go.

4 Comments:

  • Yay for him :) That's great :)!!

    By Blogger Crafty Japan, at 7:56 PM  

  • Yay for awesome underwear!

    Btw - what is a "purge control cellenoid"? I've never heard of one of those and want to sound impressive. hheheh

    By Blogger Squishi, at 5:30 AM  

  • I glad this seems to be working! I think I read in Parenting magazine about cool underwear as a possible motivator in potty training.

    By Blogger BadassMama, at 8:38 AM  

  • I gotta go poopy.

    By Blogger Kingfisher, at 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home