Borderline Retarded

Monday, October 23, 2006

The Nut Tree has re-opened in Vacaville! I took my kids there this weekend and we had a great time. My dad bought us all season passes so we can go every weekend if we want to. Old baby is finally big enough to go on all the rides, and he enjoys most of them. He's still unsure of the roller coaster and the airplane ride. I did finally convince him to ride the merry go round. Of course, his other option was going home, so I suppose I stacked the odds in my favor!

The Nut Tree was a place I loved to go as a kid. It was nothing spectacular, but it had a small train that pulled you out to the airport where you could get off and play on a 1/2 size model of a real airplane. My Grandpa also owned a Cesna; the first time I ever flew was with my 2 grandads from the Nut Tree Airport to the Napa County airport when I was 9 years old. I don't think I will ever forget that day! They had an awesome pumpkin patch at Halloween time, complete with a scarecrow contest, pumpkin ice cream and tethered hot air balloon rides. I dreamed every year of creating a scarecrow for the contest, but I was never that creative!

They also had these giant wooden hobby horses, and a play wall that you could run behind and open and shut doors, and stick your head out to have your picture taken. They had the neatest toy store, with lots of timy wind up robots and stuff like that. I also remember popcorn balls and giagantic gingerbread cookies you could decorate.

It's not the same, but the new Nut Tree is good in it's own way. It will be a place that hopefully my kids will have fond memories of as well.

2 Comments:

  • Oh, your post brings up such fond memories of the Nut Tree. These are the moments where I realized the place I have reached in life. The reopening of the Nut Tree means that our kids can go there (and perhaps a tiny bit of the childish glee we knew will also warm our hearts).

    By Blogger BadassMama, at 1:27 PM  

  • I grew up going to the Nut Tree with my family. When I heard that it was demolished it was a real bummer (I *think* it was demolished, correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, from the photos I've seen online it looks like any other mall. You can find old postcards and souvenirs of the original Nut Tree for sale on eBay. I even saw a postcard for the Coffee Tree (also demolished). So much for progess. I found your blog by searching for "nut tree" in Google.

    By Blogger Mark, at 12:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home