Borderline Retarded

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

I love my husband. I don't think I tell everyone often enough. Hopefully, I tell him often enough!

I have been thinking about us a lot lately. This December, we will have been together for 9 years.

9 years is the longest I've been with anybody I'm not actually related to by blood. Except Aimee, but that's different. She doesn't have sex with me.

9 years of sharing the same bed. Looking over at him asleep on his pillow. Getting to know him in those first years, and just knowing deep in my heart that he was going to be a wonderful husband, and an amazing father.

I wanted to marry him very much, but tried so hard not to be pushy about it. I knew it would all happen when it was supposed to. One night, we were up talking, and I ended up going upstairs and bringing down two rings. One was my grandmother's original wedding band with 2 diamond chips in it, and the other was a teardrop shaped diamond my grandmother wore every day. When grandma passed away, my Dad, my two sisters and I sat around the table and went through the jewelry, taking turns one after the other, taking those things that reminded us so much of her. The diamonds waited until the very end. I wanted them, but I wanted to make sure my sisters didn't want them first. My father asked that the diamonds stay in the family. He didn't care about the rest of the jewelry, but those meant so much to him. They were a wonderful symbol of the marriage my grandparents shared for over 50 years.

I had mentioned the rings to him before, that they were right there in my jewelry box if he wanted them. I thought if I had my own wedding band made using the diamonds, that would be the perfect way for them to stay in the family. Plus, I believed that the love my grandparents felt for each other was a tangible thing, and had somehow left a mark on these diamonds.

I wasn't sure if he felt comfortable going through my jewelry box, so I brought them directly to him. No pressure, right? I told him if ever there was a time, if he thought he would like to get married, I would love nothing more than a ring made with these jewels.

As I learned quite some time later, he took those rings to the jeweler the very next day. He designed the setting himself, and had even brought another ring of mine so it would be the correct size.

On our 4th anniversary, we went out to dinner, had a few drinks at the bar, then came home and proceeded to get rather drunk! Very late that evening, I was sitting on the couch, he came over and pulled a small velvet box out of his pocket. He got down on one knee, opened the box, and asked me to marry him. I don't even think I made a coherent reply as I started weeping with joy!

I was so startled at how beautiful the ring was, with it's tear shaped diamond and small diamond chips. The brightness of the facets was almost hypnotic. I didn't realize before how dingy and dirty they were. It all seemed so perfect, so right.

I still gaze at the ring, and the kids are fascinated with it.

Coming up on 9 years together, I didn't think it was possible to love him more. But that's exactly what has happened. I love him more every day. My chest swells with love for him, and the family we have created. He is the best.

7 Comments:

  • So happy for you both ;) Congratulations!!

    By Blogger Crafty Japan, at 4:03 AM  

  • What a wonderful tribute. It's been 13 years together for us now (almost 3 married), and like you, I am bursting with a love that's still growing. It's funny to be around newlyweds, though, and to realized that our cuteness is no longer that particular type of cuteness. Here's to the next several decades for all of us.

    By Blogger BadassMama, at 8:35 AM  

  • I was too nervous to be drunk.

    Actually, I had intended to propose during dinner, but it turned into one of those salad, entree and desert served at the same time affairs - table turnover being the important thing.

    We've never been back to that restaurant.

    By Blogger KOM, at 8:52 AM  

  • I'm torn between "Awww, how sweet" and "What a wuss".

    Damn my manliness!

    You guys are good people. Probably the goodest people I know.

    Well, if I really knew you that is.

    By Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0, at 10:29 AM  

  • That story is awesome!

    By Blogger Moxie Cotton, at 10:55 AM  

  • Oh, that was freakin' beautiful. :)

    I love to read that there is still that kind of love somewhere.

    :)

    By Blogger Desiree, at 9:02 AM  

  • oh holy - now i've got to run for the Kleenex.

    By Blogger Squishi, at 2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home