Borderline Retarded

Monday, June 12, 2006

I took the family to Fresno this weekend for my annual family reunion. We had a great time. I was worried about making a 4 hour trip on Saturday morning, and then having old baby be all cranky for the rest of the day. He did so well!

We left the house at 7:45 and stopped for breakfast at a Denny's somewhere in Stockton. Old baby ate about 15 pancakes, eggs and bacon. I'm not sure he stopped to breathe!

We made it to Fresno at 12:00, and the party was in full swing. This is my Gran's family - she was the 12th of 13 children. Only my great uncle Bill and great aunt Vivian are still with us. We went to Roeding Park , which is where my family has been reunion-ing since the early 1900's. Our good friend Bria lives there now (in Fresno, not at the park), and met up with us there. We went to the zoo, and old baby had such a good time! He yelled at all the animals and got to pet sheep, goats and a llama, or "doggies" as he likes to call them, in the petting zoo. He got to run around with all his little cousins, and tried to run away with the balloon selling man. Next year maybe we will get there a little bit earlier and go to "Storybook Land", the carnival, ride the train and take a boat out on the pond. I have so many good memories of that place, I am happy to be able to share them with my kids too.

We all stayed at the same hotel and the party continued into the night. My older sister took old baby swimming which he absolutely loved. Everybody was just in awe of how pale he was walking around in his swim trunks. I think he actually glows in the dark! New baby was perfect, he barely puked on anybody. I, of course, managed to spill all sorts of crap right down the front of my shirt onto my boobs, the worst of which was 7 layer dip. Oh well, at least nobody got sunburned! New baby was so funny; my cousin Patricia was holding him and he was trying to grab her freckles!

I was rather proud of myself. I overheard my husband talking to his parents about how "gone are the days" when you could just pack one bag and leave for a week. It's true, our minivan was packed to the gills with the kid's stuff, but we used everything we brought. Normally, I would forget something like toothpaste, underwear, deodorant or formula and bottles. Not this time!! I was organized!

Can't wait till next year!

2 Comments:

  • Wow - you actually LIKE your family reunions? My family went to one in 1983 (it was torture session year #2543) and vowed NEVER to go again, it was SO BORING and depressing, and the oldies trying to remember who was who and who'd died.... and us kids not being allowed to do anything except sit and talk to boring old people.

    I'm envious that you have FUN.

    Can you adopt me???

    By Blogger Squishi, at 2:37 AM  

  • You are so lucky to have a BIG family! I can only wish that my kids could have the joy of family reunions where grandma's/grandpa's, aunt/uncles and loads of cousins everywhere!

    By Blogger Della, at 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home