Borderline Retarded

Monday, May 15, 2006

My Mother's Day was splendid. We spent the morning relaxing at home, and went to a buffet lunch at the Silverado Country Club in Napa with my husband's family. Old baby did as well as he usually does in those type of situations. Last year it was pouring rain, but he had fun anyway splashing through all the puddles and getting soaked. This year was plenty hot!

My husband and the boys got me a $50.00 gift certificate to Lane Bryant. I cannot wait to buy some new clothes. That has got to be my favorite store of all time!

Lunch was wonderful. I am truly lucky that my husband's family is so cool! I have trouble referring to my husband's sisters as my sister's-in-law; I usually just refer to them as my sisters! The only hiccup came when my sister in law who is a respiratory therapist diagnosed old baby with asthma. From across the table. I don't know if she is trying to scare me, or legitimately thinks it could be an issue. I don't know whether I believe it is asthma. I don't feel concerned enough to make him a special appointment, but I will try and keep a written record of what I observe for his 3 year check up in August and go over it with his pediatrician. I am related to so many intelligent women who are also mothers, it makes the advice overwhelming sometimes!

New baby dazzled the group with his dimples and all around happy behavior.

One thing I have noticed about other mothers is that they seem to retain every minute detail regarding every single child. My sister in law remembers how much her oldest son weighed at 4 months of age. That son is now 20. I can't remember what my oldest son weighed at any time other than when he was born. He is 2. I can't even remember how tall he was when he was born. Am I missing the boat? I think my brain just didn't retain some information as being kind of useless to make way for other things. But, every mother I know can recall each child as though looking at snapshots in a photo album. I can't help but feel inadequate sometimes. The other comment I get is "Well, at least he'll have his baby book". Um, yeah. About that. There is no baby book for either child. Is it too late to get started now? Um. Crap!

I hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend, and a happy Mother's Day!

3 Comments:

  • If it makes you feel better, I only know how much my kids weigh *now* because I weighed them in order to find out how much Tylenol to give them...heck, I don't even know how far along I am in my pregnancy. People ask me these things and then look at me like I must be the Worst Mother In The World when I simply don't know! At least I can tell them how old they are. Um. Mostly.

    *grin*

    Happy (Day After) Mother's Day!

    By Blogger PSUMommy, at 4:56 PM  

  • I have one child. I can tell you how old he was at birth and that's about it. People tell me how much their two year old weighs and I don't even know if that's a reasonable amount!! Do not worry, these are not details that will be covered on any final exam! And as for the baby book, how often have you read your own? Yeah, me too. Therefore, it hasn't been much of a priority for my son, either! You're doing a great job!

    By Blogger Amy, at 9:35 AM  

  • I only have one child, too, and I cannot remember anything about milestones, like how much he weighed at 3 years old, or what size he wore. And I was bad about not updating the baby book.

    By Blogger Trish, at 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home