Borderline Retarded

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Hmmmm......

I was listening to the radio today, and the DJ mentioned a story about a man in the Bay Area who was fired from his job of 17 years because of a type of test he took and failed.

Here's where the tricky part comes in. She said it was either a "contienceness test" or a "consciousness test". Neither one makes sense to me, but I don't know exactly which one it was. Whichever it was, he scored too low, and was fired. He is now suing the company claiming wrongfull termination.

How do you score somebody's contience level? What kind of deviant do you have to be to score too low? Who decides what "too low" is? That sounds almost like writing law based on a person's morals - you just can't do that! What's wrong to one person is not wrong to another, and who am I to say that either person is wrong? Another question is, why would you willingly take a test like that in the first place! It all sounds very fishy.

I can see how easy it would be to score consciousness, either you're conscious or you're drooling on the table!

Hmmmmm, I will have to see if I can't follow up this story.

3 Comments:

  • Most core laws are moralistic. Don't steal, don't kill, etc.

    When I was a kid, I took a personality test for a job with KFC. I was told to answer honestly. Seeing as I've never worked at KFC, they must have decided that I wasn't chicken hut material.

    I guess if you can be fired for doing drugs (another decision based on morality), they can fire you for anything. Don't believe in Jesus? Out. Don't like Cap'n Crunch? You're history. Snuck out of the house when you were 15 to make out with some girl? Deviant - get out!

    By Blogger KOM, at 2:42 PM  

  • Well yeah, I agree that most laws are moral exclamation points. But, I have to believe that the vast majority of people would not like to be killed, or kill anyone else willy nilly. I guess for a "civilized" country some ground rules have to be set.

    By Blogger Robyn, at 4:27 PM  

  • Maybe it was a competency test, and since he can't even remember what kind of test it was, I can see why he failed.

    By Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0, at 5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home