Borderline Retarded

Monday, August 08, 2005

Going to the Chapel......

Two of our good friends finally got engaged! I am so excited. They have been dating for about 5 years, and living together for 3 I think? I have ben asked to be the matron of honor. I truly am honored to be asked. This is going to be so much fun. I hope I can do a good job at supporting the bride to be and helping her out as much as possible. She is apparently counting on my expertise..... I've only been married the one time, but apparently the wedding went off really well and we all had a very good time. She is hoping no less for her wedding.

She came over to visit on Sunday, and we got to talking about how people are sooooo very different when it comes to weddings. I remember vividly looking at wedding dresses and thinking "My God, that is the most hideous thing I have ever seen". Ten minutes later, another woman is looking at the same dress and squealing and crying because she found "the one". It was so very weird! I had a good time planning my wedding. It wasn't nearly as difficult as some people (my older sister mainly) made it out to be. My friend has been watching this show called "Bridezilla", and the way she described it made me think of my older sister. Except for the going bankrupt to pay for the wedding thing, she was a total nutjob for two years. She should not have had such a long engagement. She went so far as to take every opportunity to hold family meetings to discuss who should be sat where during the ceremony. She was concerned about her future husband's family, because his parents are divorced and there is a step-mother. She was frantically trying to figure out whether his mother should sit in the aisle seat, or his step-mother. Or if the step mother should even sit in the first row. I told her, they are adults, they will figure it out. But, she couldn't let any portion of the day not go "according to schedule".

I shit you not, the day before the wedding (which was in October) we were handed itineraries that were about 5 pages long and started in June, with entries like "Dentist appointment, 3:00 pm." I remember looking at it in horror, then ripping off the very last page and scanning for my name. I suppose I should have humored her and kept the itinerary on my person at all times and been the one to constantly call out the time "18 hours to showtime people". But, I didn't! You know, there was a lot of blood sweat and tears that went into a ceremony that barely lasted ten minutes!!

When I called my sister to tell her I was engaged, firslty, she tried to take total credit for it, saying that her wedding prompted KOM to ask me to marry him. If anything, I was surprised that after going through that wedding, he didn't run screaming into the hills. The next thing was to ask when were planning the wedding. It was December, and we figured we'd get married the following September. She freaked out, "Oh my God, you'll NEVER book a place! Everything is booked a year in advance!!" After an initial panic attack - I called the three places I was interested in, and they were wide open. I am just not the type of person to get overly worked up about things. So, I decided to do the rest of thing my way, and it worked out fine!

5 Comments:

  • See, that's why I want to get married in Vegas. Bring a bunch of friends and get married in Vegas and then go party.

    That is, of course, if I ever make it to the engagement part of a relationship.

    Wait.

    First, I have to make it to the relationship. ;)

    By Blogger Reese The Law Girl, at 1:13 PM  

  • Reece, Somewhere on this earth is a whole bunch of single men just waiting for us.

    *sigh*

    Knowing my luck though they'd be in Outer Mongolia.

    Wanna go on a holiday? heheh

    By Blogger Squishi, at 4:34 PM  

  • heh. My sister's wedding was all for show for my mother. My sister & brother in law was only allowed to have X amount of her friends, and the rest was pretty well made up of my MOTHER's friends that we'd never met. My brother in law's family list was restricted too.

    Honestly... i'd be happy with a civil ceremony in private with 4 people present in total, but no one ELSE is happy about that. You're married all the same legally, right?

    By Blogger Squishi, at 8:32 PM  

  • It's one of the better kept secrets: Weddings are most definately not for the couple being married.

    They don't tell you this until after you've started planning. You think, well why can't we wear chain mail and underoos?? It's our wedding, after all!

    No, it isn't.

    By Blogger KOM, at 9:32 AM  

  • People should just elope. I was "the" nut job of my family for 1 year leading up to my wedding. After the wedding, relatives only only poke me with a ten-foot pole.

    By Blogger Passerby A, at 12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home