Borderline Retarded

Thursday, November 03, 2005

One of life's little mysteries is solved!

I was able to close the book on something today that was never very pressing on my mind, but amusing nonetheless.

For the past several years, my husband and I lived on one end of town, and I still work on that same end of town. Every so often, we would hear someone's car horn sound off in the distance. It was one of those horns that plays "La Cukaracha", or "Low Rider" or something like that. My husband always commented on it, because the very last note of the song would always be flat, and therefore sour the rest of his day.

I continue to hear this horn quite often while I am at work. I always thought it belonged to some promotional vehicle at one of the car dealerships, but I shouldn't be able to hear anything from the car dealerships out here. I guessed it belonged on the car of one of our employees who parked in the lower lot.

Well, today I was hauling a couple of packages out to my car when the taco truck came rambling into the parking lot, and sounded it's horn. Low and behold, it played a very moving rendition of the theme from "The Godfather". All of those little bits of information fell into place, and now I will always know what I am hearing when the horn sounds. Here in Napa, we keep an amazing number of taco trucks in business. I guess they needed a way to keep themselves apart from the ice cream trucks, as well as alert all of those hungry workers.

Now, the trick is to not start salivating and chase after the truck when I do hear it!

4 Comments:

  • There ain't nothing that says 'Taco' like the Corleones.

    I remember the tune being that little horn diddy that you might associate with horse races. I guess that's another obvious 'taco' call.

    By Blogger KOM, at 2:02 PM  

  • oooh taco trucks. We don't have anything like that here except at funfairs and stuff.

    Even ye old icecream van is becoming an exinct species.

    Mmmm Tacos. That's something you can't get at this end of town :\

    By Blogger Squishi, at 6:33 PM  

  • Yes, tacos are a gift from God!

    OK - That WAS the song we used to hear, the horce race song! I couldn't remember. Just that last sour flat note!

    By Blogger Robyn, at 9:51 AM  

  • Good for you... mystery solved. I hear a couple of constant mystery sounds all the time. But I'm to lazy to figure it out.

    By Blogger Passerby A, at 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home