Borderline Retarded

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Wooo! It's been a long couple of weeks.

First, I want to congratulate our friends Carter and Jene' on the birth if their first child, a daughter, named Lilly Grace. Isn't that a beautiful name? I am waiting anxiously to hear all about the birth (we women are so weird that way!).

Old baby was sick Thursday night with a flu bug, which hopped to new baby on Saturday, and to mommy on Sunday. It involved a lot of puking (on the kids' part) and severe cramping and body aches (on mommy's part). The carpet has some new interesting stains to try and clean out! Luckily, my cousin Pete has a carpet cleaning business. I think I could keep him in golden hubcaps for his van!

Old baby and I felt OK on Saturday though, and I took him to the movie theater to see "Shrek the Third". I was only a tiny bit apprehensive after our first outing 2 years ago to see "March of the Penguins". Did not go well. Even though I swore I wouldn't take him until he was 4, and then not on my own, he enjoyed the first two Shrek movies so much I thought it would be fun to give it another try. He did fantastic. I talked it up to him for a couple of days, then made sure we arrived a couple of minutes early so he could check everything out. We even had time for him to name all of the animals in the "Evan All Mighty" cardboard cutout! He sat right down in the seat, plopped that bag of popcorn on his lap and happily munched away for 2 hours. It was great. We had a small nuclear meltdown as we left and I tossed the trash into the bin. He thought I tossed out his drink, which he had asked me to hold, and was completely inconsolable. Even though I showed him his drink was still right in my hand. It was a bit unnerving. I tried my best to remain calm, and was totally embarrassed. In those situations, you can't win. Passersby will either think you are being too soft if you don't swat them, or too harsh if you don't try and analyze their emotions on the spot. I was trying to keep him from crawling inside the garbage can to retrieve my empty cup, and I actually said "stop acting like a child". Oh my God! I sincerely hope nobody heard me utter that totally absurd sentence!

And people wonder why I have grey hairs.

4 Comments:

  • Is a Fist Child something like a Beast Master?

    By Blogger KOM, at 2:05 PM  

  • Oof. I know all about the public meltdown, mortifying! I actually hit my son on the hand after he hit me and said "no hitting!"
    It's all so much fun!

    By Blogger Moxie Cotton, at 5:03 PM  

  • Now, if you go correcting yourself, my comment will no make the sense!

    Oh, and I think you mean, "birth of their first (FIST!) child."

    The Mad Corrector strikes again!

    By Blogger KOM, at 11:37 PM  

  • "I was only a tiny bit apprehensive after our first outing 2 years ago to see "March of the Penguins". Did not go well..."

    Ah, I remember taking Cassie to see 'March Of The Penguins.' It was her first movie in the theater. She was almost three, and so excited. When the movie started and the penguins came on screen, she turned to me and said, "Mommy, there are penguins up there! I see penguins!" "Yes, dear," I replied. "There are lots of penguins up there." Then Cass turned around and told her father there were penguins up on the screen. And after that, she stood up in her seat and told the people behind us there were penguins on the screen. And then the people sitting in front of us... and the people sitting a few seats over from us... an elderly couple a few rows down... etc., etc., etc.

    Kids. What fun!

    Helen

    By Blogger Helen, at 5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home