Borderline Retarded

Monday, July 24, 2006

My alarm went off this morning, which apparently was the signal for the cat to start jumping on me and licking my face. I don't know what she was all excited about; the bedroom door was open all night and she had access to me whenever she wanted! I spent about 10 minutes trying to squeeze in a few minutes more of sleep but ended up spending that time yelling at a cat. I heard the boys in their bedroom, so I decided it was time to get up. I changed diapers, and put new baby down on the couch while I fixed his bottle. I opened the cupboard door, and found no clean bottles. I hurried over to the sink to clean a bottle before the little dude lost his mind.

I was concentrating on the task at hand when old baby brought a clump of grass to me. "Here Mommy, here! Here Mommy - Mommy here! MOMMY!!" I grabbed the grass out of his hand and started to toss it into the sink when suddenly, it moved. I tossed it away and started the "heebie geebie" dance which consisted of me hopping from foot to foot while shaking my hands in front of me and shivering from head to toe and saying "haa haa haa". Apparently, I am a big fat sissy girl! I finally reined myself in when I noticed I was actually upsetting the boy. I looked into the sink to see that my boy had handed me a praying mantis. After a few more body shakes, I was finally able to finish making the bottle and feed the poor starving baby.

I would probably have been even more creeped out if I hadn't already seen a praying mantis in our backyard on Saturday night. I had turned on the sprinkler in the back and noticed the buggie sitting on the cement just under the porch light. I hadn't ever seen a praying mantis in the wild, so I called my husband over to see it too. I don't think this was the same bug - it was a different color and a little it bigger.

After getting the kids settled, I went back to the sink and picked up the mantis to take back outside. I think it must have been the victim of one of the cats. It's wings were slightly shredded and only one leg appeared to be working. I put it back into the shade in the grass. I don't know if bugs regenerate limbs, but I hope so!

Note to self: Always always look carefully at what your two year old son is handing you before you take it from him. Pay attention - damnit!

3 Comments:

  • Are you sure it was the cat licking your face? Coulda been a praying mantis.

    By Blogger Kingfisher, at 4:01 PM  

  • Ok - that just gave me the willies something fierce!

    By Blogger Robyn, at 2:47 PM  

  • oh how lovely! I like praying mantis' and stick creatures - they're kind of ugly but so cute at the same time :)))))))

    What a lovely gift, even if you weren't expecting it!

    By Blogger Squishi, at 5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home