Borderline Retarded

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

How many?

I went to Target with my friend Maria during lunch today. I had my first "when are you due?" question from a total stranger. She was working at the check register next to ours, and said: "When's your baby due?" It was more of a command than a question, so I immediately responded: "December 30th, ma'am." She looked at me and said very loudly "How many?" I looked right back at her and said "Huh? Um, December 30th?" She looks at my belly and makes some kind of noise with her tongue, as if to imply that I'm lying because I am way too big to go another 3 months, then says "Damn! You big! You look cute though!" I just laughed, and told her I was thinking the same thing! She asked me if I had heard about this woman in Vallejo who had used a surrogate when she and her husband had tried for years without getting pregnant. She said the woman ended up getting pregnant and the surrogate's babies and her baby were born 1 week apart. She had 4 kids all at once! She said to me" How come she didn't cancel her order when she found out she was pregnant?" I really couldn't answer that one.

6 Comments:

  • It's all in the wrist.

    By Blogger Robyn, at 2:37 PM  

  • I love that she referred to having a surrogate carry a child as "placing an order" or in this case "cancelling her order" - that's classic. When I was pregnant a woman that I work with asked if I was having twins, which is (in my opinion), something you should never ask anyone. My hormonal imbalance and that question triggered a week-long bout of depression that was only soothed by multiple feedings of chocolate chip cookies. Twins indeed!

    By Blogger Moxie Cotton, at 2:58 PM  

  • Lmao! How rude and ignorant. "Cancel her order." That is priceless.

    I swear, some people need to take Bambi's mother's advice and just keep their traps shut.

    By Blogger Jomama, at 4:39 PM  

  • Wazzah?

    Sometimes, I can't believe people are that stupid.

    By Blogger Reese The Law Girl, at 1:07 PM  

  • I get strangers (ladies) come up and feel my tummy when I was really big and due soon...

    By Blogger Passerby A, at 8:07 AM  

  • I don;t think I've had anybody ask to rub the belly, except here at work. I don't mind though.

    I actually had someone else at my son's daycare go through the same thing later that afternoon.

    For the last time - I KNOW WHAT MY DUE DATE IS!

    By Blogger Robyn, at 10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home