Borderline Retarded

Friday, June 17, 2005

Identity

I know this topic has come up with almost everybody, and I wanted to discuss it as well. When KOM first started his blog, I inadvertantly used part of his name as my identity when commenting on blogs. I didn't realize what a faux pas that was until afterwards. Do you guys really have weirdo stalkers who actually find out where you live, or are they just on-line creepies? I have to think it won't be much of an issue, for me anyway. I am very unremarkable. I would say 75% of my employees are truckers, and you know what a weird lot they can be, and not a single stalker among them. If I don't interest any of these people, how could I possibly interest anyone else? I haven't had a stalker since I was 19 or 20 years old, and even he wasn't very scary. He was just a lonely middle aged man who still lived with his mother. And they didn't let him carry a real gun. He actually wrote a story and used me as the main character. It was pretty bad. I gave him this photo of me from the civil war reenactment dressed like Scarlett O'Hara at the garden party for the cover of the book. I didn't think anything was weird until he talked about wanting to take me out to the woods to take some pictures of me. That's when the alarm bells started ringing. But other than that, my stalker que has been devoid of human life.
I want to post pictures of my son, because he is the most gorgeous thing on this planet. But, I will continue to err on the side of caution.

9 Comments:

  • I know how you feel. I had this other blog that featured nothing but my girl Ophelia. And then, I got flamed and harassed by a Singaporean blogger... I've closed down that blog and I post Ophelia's pictures sparingly on my new blog. One bitten twice shy.

    By Blogger Passerby A, at 1:26 AM  

  • I think it's great that you think through things so thoroughly. I have no such mechanism. My husband is always looking at me with a bemused expression and shaking his head.

    I post pictures. I probably post more pictures than I should. BUT! I just got a new digital camera! I couldn't help myself!

    By Blogger Lisa, at 6:04 AM  

  • been on the net close to 10 years, and have only had one stalker, and that only happened cos he figured he actually knew me in real life a few years prior. A few stern words and an idle threat from a fellow netter got rid of him pretty quick :)

    By Blogger Squishi, at 8:19 AM  

  • I think "stalker" in the Blog world means online only. Someone who ALWAYS comments rude or offensive things. I would think that unless you give out ALL of your personal info you'd be OK.

    I have checked just about every search engine there is with my name and date of birth and I either have done a GREAT job of hiding or I don't exist.

    Either way I'm not worried. I know I SHOULD be, I'm a damn sexy guy, but I don't. Worry that is.

    By Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0, at 4:42 PM  

  • KOM sent me your way...welcome to the world of blogging!

    By Blogger SassyAssy, at 6:51 PM  

  • I am not in the leat bit worried about people knowing who I am from my blog. Thats kinda the point of my blog I think, or maybe it isnt, hell I dont know. I dont know if I will be the same blogger when I graduate though, I dont want to join that list of people that have lost their real jobs due to online blogging. Thats what id be more worried about, hey I think I would have some fun with a stalker. They would have ahard time staying awake as much as I do in order to be able to keep up with me. Then even if they mannage to stay awake, its hard to find one single person at a party as my life of late has been a solid party almost. Anyways, I like the new blog, have fun with it and thank KOM for another reader, like me or not.

    By Blogger THEMARSHAL, at 8:47 PM  

  • I wish I had a stalker. It makes me feel less than human not not have some creep or creepette peeping in my bathroom window while I'm sitting on the pot.

    By Blogger Yawn, at 10:19 AM  

  • I always thought it was normal to have creeping arround and trying to watch me in the shower. I dont even bother closeing the blinds over the window.

    By Blogger THEMARSHAL, at 12:33 PM  

  • My opinion on family photos- just look at my blog! ;) Seriously, though- I have no problem posting pics here the same way I'd have no problem posting pics on a personal website. No-one can find me by my face alone. Nor can they find me knowing my first name (which I don't think I have in my blogger blog...I can't remember) and my face.

    If someone started stalking me...easy. I can delete the blog & start anew.

    I'm also a bit naive (so I've been told)- not nearly as cautious as I should be, maybe. I also figure that if someone is that psycho, they could also just pick out my phone number in the book & stalk me that way- and then they'd know my full name AND my address. In my humble opinion, its riskier to have a listed phone number than it is to post pics on a blog! Unless there's something I'm not thinking about, really...

    Okay, enough rambling from me. Welcome to the blog world!

    By Blogger PSUMommy, at 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home